You can get a degree or diploma in nutrition by studying online with a university or college.
- Australian accredited courses combine online study with occasional practical training on campus.
- International and non-accredited courses allow you to study nutrition 100% online.
Distance learning can help boost your nutrition knowledge and even launch a career in this complex and changing field. You'll come away better equipped to advise on good nutrition and to lead a healthier life yourself.
Eating a balanced diet is vital for good health and wellbeing. Food provides our bodies with the energy, protein, essential fats, vitamins and minerals to live, grow and function properly. We need a wide variety of different foods to provide the right amounts of nutrients for good health.
Why Study Nutrition Online?
Studying nutrition online is the convenient way to get a qualification. Distance learning courses reduce how much effort is required to work through program content.
- You can complete the academic parts of courses without having to leave home.
- For accredited courses, you'll still need to attend a campus at least occasionally.
For online university study, you can do nutrition as part of a health sciences program. By enrolling in a broad health program, you don’t have commit to a specific field until reaching the 2nd or 3rd year of a bachelor degree.
Studying food and dietetics can be fascinating. The acquired knowledge is useful personally as well as professionally. Nutrition students learn about the influence of food intake on health and well-being.
Online nutrition courses also teach you about dietetics: how to apply nutritional knowledge to promote individual and community health. Diet awareness is vital to wellness, influencing how people manage weight, fitness and disease.
An advantage of studying nutrition is career flexibility. Many career paths potentially follow from studying the applied sciences of nutrition and dietetics.
Career opportunities for nutrition experts include
- Nutrition chef – plan and create meals in settings such as cafeterias or high-end restaurants
- Health Educator – design and advocate programs that encourage healthy eating
- Dietitian or Nutritionist – provide medical nutrition therapy and plan food and nutrition programs.
By getting an advanced diploma or bachelor degree with a nutrition major, you qualify to work in many roles in food and beverage industries.
Advantages of an Accredited Degree
If you are serious about a career as a nutritionist or dietitian, you probably should be aiming to complete a degree (bachelor or masters) that is accredited by the Dietitians Association of Australia (DAA).
By completing a DAA-accredited program, you are eligible to become a member of the DAA. Eligibility allows you to simply call yourself an "accredited dietitian".
- There are no legal requirements for registration of dietitians in Australia.
- However, many jobs require you to be eligible to become a member of the DAA.
- To be eligible for membership, you need to complete an accredited degree on the DAA list. Migrants to Australia must complete the Dietetics Skills Recognition exam.
Being a recognised dietitian in Australia offers a significant career advantage. Many nutrition and dietitian jobs require you to at least be eligible for DAA membership. Some jobs may require you to also participate in the DAA's Accredited Practising Dietitian Program.
Although at this time there are no legal requirements for registration of dietitians in Australia, the vast majority of employers require employees to be eligible to become DAA members with dietetic qualifications and join the Accredited Practising Dietitian (APD) program. The APD Program is administered by DAA as a means of self-regulation by the profession, in order to obtain and maintain high levels of professional practice.
Can You Study Nutrition 100% Online?
You can study short courses in nutrition fully online. But longer courses require some on-campus attendance.
To do an extended diploma or bachelor degree accredited in Australia, you need to live close enough to the university or college to attend multiple times per year.
All the Australian courses listed here are multi-mode.
- The main academic load can be studied online but important parts of the course are delivered on campus.
- On-campus sessions may be regular (weekly) or organised into occasional intensive blocks (where students spend 2 or more days at the school).
Note that, to work as a medical dietitian, you need to first complete an accredited 4-year bachelor or 2-year masters degree in dietetics. For further details, see Good Universities.