Online Course Content
A Graduate Certificate in Business Administration online course will normally cover essential knowledge areas for managers. Program content may consist of
- accounting, economics and finance for managers
- design of business processes and organisational structures
- leadership principles and practices.
The course will accelerate your development as a manager broadly. As well as acquiring practical skills, you'll discover what sort of capabilities are required to be a successful manager. The course offers a blueprint for a longer learning journey.
A business administrator oversees a business and its operations. The job is to ensure that the business meets its goals and is properly organized and managed... they are essentially the manager.
Business Administration Career Benefits
Studying business administration offers benefits for almost any type of career. Business administration is a common role that's found across all industries and job sectors.
- If you're employed, take a look at your supervisor. He or she does business administration.
- You are also a business administrator if you have any significant responsibilities over people or the organisation of work.
Business administration can be studied at any career stage. Ideally, you should have at least some work experience so you can better relate theory to practice.
- Having relevant experience is a factor in being admitted to a grad cert course.
- If you have significant professional experience, you don't necessarily need a business degree – or any degree for that matter – to be accepted into a study program.
Getting a graduate certificate in business admin demonstrates management knowledge and interest. It will help when you apply for senior positions.
Types of Online Graduate Certificate Programs
For all graduate certificate courses, you can expect to do the equivalent of 1 semester of full-time study (4 units). You can also expect the course to be embedded in a masters program. That gives you the option to keep studying and complete an MBA (usually 12 units total).
Distance learning courses have varied structures however. The main types offered by Australian universities are
- Traditional. Essentially the online version of an on-campus program (2-3 semesters per year, full or part-time study)
- Modular. Purpose-built online programs where you do 1 unit at a time (5+ study periods per year, part-time study)
- Self paced. Self-paced academic study combined with individual or collaborative projects (flexible study).
Modular and project-based courses are ideal for busy people who want to study part-time. They avoid end-of-semester exam periods, which are fixed times where you have no choice but to cram intensively.