Australian universities offer flexible options for getting a science degree online. Most disciplines can be studied through distance education.
- Subjects such as data science, information technology and mathematics are ideal for 100% online study.
- For more hands-on fields, such as biology or environmental science, mixed-mode courses may be available. You normally study online but occasionally attend multi-day residential schools.
Online science courses in Australia are of a high quality, achieving statistically better student satisfaction rates than on-campus programs.
While few Australian universities offer Bachelor of Science degrees online, those that do provide high quality courses. Many majors are available and there are plenty of elective units to choose from.
A Bachelor of Science degree is a 3-year course if studied at a full-time pace (or 6 years part-time).
To qualify for a major, you need to complete a minimum number of relevant units each year.
- First-year students often select units from a variety of fields, including from outside the Science Faculty.
- Double majors and minor specialisations are possible... READ MORE
To be successful in environmental studies, you should enjoy travelling and working outdoors. You get the chance to do that even as an online student.
- Distance education courses in environmental science have applied elements. These include lab sessions, field trips and work placements.
- Field trips and residential schools are typically organised for convenience in blocks of consecutive days.
The environment is a fascinating study area that is well supported by Australian distance education universities.
Online environmental science programs offer a tremendous selection of topics... READ MORE
Anyone with a talent for problem solving might be interested in doing an online information technology or data science degree. 100% online courses are available that open up career opportunities in growth fields.
Computer-related degrees set up graduates for lifelong learning. They provide the foundation concepts and skills needed to keep pace with technology.
For bachelor degrees, the emphasis is on developing breadth of knowledge and imparting starter skills in data manipulation and coding. At a masters level, programs are more orientated towards building management skills. Students can also opt for specialist study streams... READ MORE
Maths and statistics can be studied online as a major in a science degree or as part of a course in business, education, engineering or other discipline.
Studying maths and statistics online works well because the field is abstract rather than hands on. You can move through the course material at your convenience and do at least as well as on-campus students.
- If you're good at maths and stats, you may want to major in this area as part of a Bachelor of Science degree.
- Alternatively, you can minor in maths and stats (by choosing them as electives). Mathematical units can ease your study load because they typically don't require much reading.
By studying with a strong online university, you'll have plenty of unit choices – in numerical fields and complementary study areas such as information technology... READ MORE
You can become a nutritionist or dietitian by combining online study with some practical training. Most of Australia's major cities have a university or college offering external study towards a diploma or degree.
An advanced diploma or bachelor degree in nutrition qualifies you for many jobs in the food, health and weight management sectors. To become a recognised dietitian, you should complete a degree (bachelor or masters) which is accredited by the Dietitians Association of Australia.
Nutrition is a hands-on study area, meaning that some parts must be done on campus or in a clinical setting. Nutrition students are expected to have a strong science background... READ MORE
Psychology is a popular study area for undergraduate students, who often combine it with other topics. You can major in Psychology within a Bachelor of Science degree. Online courses look at human behaviour, personality, interpersonal relationships, learning and motivation.
A 3-year psychology degree is just the start of qualifying to be a psychology researcher, registered psychologist or clinical psychologist. But it can lead to a career in human resource management, marketing or social welfare.
An honours years and advanced degree is normally required to become a registered psychologist. Because professional degrees involve clinical practice (with training on campus or at a mental health facility), distance education options are limited... READ MORE