Australian universities offer flexible options for getting a science degree online.
- Certain disciplines, such as mathematics and computer science, are suitable for 100% online study.
- For more hands-on subjects, such as biology or environmental science, mixed-mode courses may be available. You normally study online but occasionally attend multi-day residential schools.
Distance learning options are greater if you study with one of the stronger online universities. That way, you can choose units that are 100% online or have few residential schools. Most disciplines can be studied through distance education.
Science is a diverse field and bachelor degree students may sample different subject areas. Online science courses in Australia are of a high quality, achieving statistically better student satisfaction rates than on-campus programs.
The future is filled with innovations we can’t even begin to imagine – innovations that will be brought to life by curious and pioneering minds… Because science is broad, you’ll have the opportunity to major in one, or even two, areas that particularly interest you.
While few Australian universities offer Bachelor of Science degrees online, those that do provide high quality courses. Many majors are available and there are plenty of elective units to choose from.
A Bachelor of Science degree is a 3-year course if studied at a full-time pace (or 6 years part-time).
To qualify for a major, you need to complete a minimum number of relevant units each year.
- First-year students often select units from a variety of fields, including from outside the Science Faculty.
- Double majors and minor specialisations are possible… READ MORE
Computer science students are lucky because just about any course you might be interested in is available for 100% online study.
For some reason, the online programs lead to degrees in Information Technology rather than Computer Science. We’re not sure exactly what the distinction is though. The programs build professional skills that can be broadly applied to ICT industries.
Computing degrees set up graduates for lifelong learning. They provide the foundational concepts and skills needed to keep pace with technology.
- For bachelor degrees, the emphasis is on exposing students to major sectors with the rapidly changing IT industry.
- At a masters level, programs are more orientated towards building management skills. Students can also opt for specialist study streams… READ MORE
To be successful in environmental studies, you should enjoy travelling and working outdoors. You get the chance to do that even as an online student.
- Distance education courses in environmental science have applied elements. These include lab sessions, field trips and work placements.
- Field trips and residential schools are typically organised for convenience in blocks of consecutive days.
The environment is a fascinating study area that is well supported by Australian distance education universities.
Online environmental science programs offer a tremendous selection of topics… READ MORE
Maths and statistics can be studied online as a major (usually in the science faculty) or as part of a course in business, education, engineering or other discipline.
Studying maths and statistics online works well because the field is abstract rather than hands on. You can move through the course material at your convenience and do just as well as on-campus students.
- If you are good at maths and stats, you may want to major in this area as part of a Bachelor of Science degree.
- Alternatively, you can minor in maths and stats (by choosing them as electives). Mathematical units can ease your study load because they typically don’t require much reading.
To study maths and stats online, it is best to enrol in a strong distance education university. That way, you will have plenty of unit choices – in numerical fields and complementary study areas such as computer science… READ MORE
You can become a nutritionist or dietitian by combining online study with some practical training. Most of Australia’s major cities have a university or college offering external study towards a diploma or degree.
An advanced diploma or bachelor degree in nutrition qualifies you for many jobs in the food, health and weight management sectors. To become a recognised dietitian, you should complete a degree (bachelor or masters) which is accredited by the Dietitians Association of Australia.
Nutrition is a hands-on study area, meaning that some parts must be done on campus or in a clinical setting. Nutrition students are expected to have a strong science background… READ MORE
Psychology is a popular study area for undergraduate students, who often combine it with other topics. You can major in Psychology within a Bachelor of Science degree. Online courses look at human behaviour, personality, interpersonal relationships, learning and motivation.
A 3-year psychology degree is just the start of qualifying to be a psychology researcher, registered psychologist or clinical psychologist. But it can lead to a career in human resource management, marketing or social welfare.
An honours years and advanced degree is normally required to become a registered psychologist. Because professional degrees involve clinical practice (with training on campus or at a mental health facility), distance education options are limited… READ MORE