You can study online for a Master of Commerce degree with Australian universities.
- Fully online, 100% distance-education programs are available for professionals who just want to study from home or work.
- The best online degrees allow for subject specialisation or a general program of business studies.
Online courses consist of 12-16 units, which represent 1.5-2 years of full-time study. A popular option is to study unit-by-unit year-round, in which case a degree can take as little as 2 years of part-time study.
Why Choose Master of Commerce?
A Master of Commerce degree is the postgraduate equivalent of Bachelor of Business or Bachelor of Commerce. It is a flexible degree which covers the spectrum of business subjects.
- MCom (or MComm) students are often business graduates who want to extend their skills and qualifications.
- But some students are non-business graduates looking to switch careers or gain qualifications relevant to their jobs.
Anyone considering postgraduate business studies has many options. A Master of Commerce may be the best choice if you want to build technical skills while keeping career possibilities open.
Why not a specialist masters?
Why choose a Master of Commerce instead of a specialized business degree?
- One reason is that you haven't studied business before and are looking to establish a solid foundation of skills and knowledge.
- Another reason is to keep your options open. A subject-specific degree is good if you are confident of maintaining a career in a certain field. But, otherwise, a general degree is likely to be more valuable.
- A Master of Commerce is also good for examining different subjects. You may decide on a specialisation during your course.
MCom versus MBA
A Master of Business Administration (MBA) is a general business degree with a focus on management theory and practice. You may not be ready for an MBA (or accepted by a business school) if you lack management experience.
- For early-career professionals – who do more producing than directing – a Master of Commerce is more work-relevant.
- An MCom degree is also better for demonstrating all-round business capabilities (beyond management skills).
Commerce jobs list
Business Administrator • Business Development Manager • Economist • Financial Planner • HR Manager • International Trade Officer • Investment Banking Analyst • IT Consultant • Logistics Manager • Marketing Consultant • Policy Development Officer • Project Manager
Study for an MCom online
Online study allows you to earn a Master of Commerce with minimal disruption and time away from work or family. Courses are structured for convenience and flexibility.
- Australian universities offer fully online degrees.
- All learning materials and tools are available via the net.
- You can normally study year-round and start at different times of year.
- Postgraduate students typically combine online study with work.
Best Online Programs in Australia
The best online Master of Commerce programs offer a combination of academic rigour and course flexibility. You achieve excellent learning outcomes with minimal life disription.
A difference between some of the leading courses is basic structure.
- Some programs are organised in the traditional manner, with long semesters that culminate in multiple exams.
- Other programs allow you to focus on 1 unit at a time and keep studying consistently across the year.
Program length also varies, from 12 units up to 16 units. A longer program may be required if you don't have a business degree and need to start by completing a 4-unit Graduate Certificate in Commerce.
Deakin Master of Commerce
Deakin University offers an online Master of Commerce which is suitable for graduates who haven't studied business before. The program is 16 units, reduced to 12 if you have a business degree or 5+ years of relevant work experience. An extensive list of majors is available. Core units are accounting, building success in commerce, business communication for managers, business process management, economics for managers, and finance.