Here you can find out why, how and where to study law online.
- Australian universities offer flexible, top rating law degrees for distance students.
- Online law courses prepare you for a career in law or related fields.
Law is a subject where you develop both abstract thinking and practical problem solving.
Legal graduates come away with more than just a law degree and knowledge of the system of law. They have skills, such as the ability to argue from a basis of evidence.
There are many types of law degrees in Australia. Legal studies can be general or professional.
- First-time uni students can do a Bachelor of Law (3-4 years) or Bachelor of Law combined degree (5 years).
- To be a professional lawyer, you also need to do practical legal training.
- Non-law university graduates can choose between a Bachelor of Law or Juris Doctor (both 3 years).
- Postgraduate degrees are available for professional development. They are usually meant for lawyers. But you may also want to do them if you are a legal researcher or deal with legal issues professionally (such as in business, policy development and regulatory compliance).
For further detail, see Good Universities.
A law degree can give you the skills to be a successful lawyer, but also a producer, politician, manager, journalist or police administrator. Legal skills are valuable for any profession requiring intellectual strength and a practical approach.
Law permeates every aspect of social life. Law governs everything from the embryo to exhumation. There are legal frameworks for the air we breathe, the food and drink we consume, our travel, family relationships, property, our sport, science, employment, education and health – everything, in fact, from neighbourhood disputes to war.
Studying law online gives you the chance to sharpen your mind, strengthen understanding and deepen experience across the full range of humanities and social sciences. You acquire both breadth of understanding and depth in areas of specialisation.
Best Bachelor Courses
Studying law is a big investment of your time, so you definitely want to enrol in the best course available. Online Study Australia has selected the top law schools for distance education. These are the best degrees in terms of course satisfaction ratings and the quality and range of units offered.
Although it's not the only reason, many people study postgraduate law to get a legal career out of their law degree.
Graduates who want to perform legal practice can do academic parts of a qualifying course online. The standard qualification is a graduate diploma in legal practice.
Master of Laws (LLM) degrees are important for gaining a competitive edge. In some areas of the law, such as intellectual property and tax, advanced postgraduate study is almost a pre-requisite. Studying for a masters through distance learning is a convenient way to get valuable qualifications.
And qualified lawyers can enhance career prospects by doing online masters, short courses and research degrees. A masters course provides in-depth training to develop critical evaluation and analysis. LLM students interpret the meaning of words and abstract concepts, helping with analysis of complex qualitative data.