You can study online for an Australia law degree, including Bachelor of Laws, a combined law degree, Juris Doctor and Master of Laws.
- Australian universities offer flexible programs for law students who want to study by distance education.
- Online law courses prepare you for a career in law or related fields in much the same way as on-campus programs.
- Studying online is a popular option for mature-age students with work or family commitments.
Types of Law Degrees in Australia
The types of law degrees in Australia are many. Legal studies can be general or professional.
- First-time uni students can do a Bachelor of Law (3-4 years) or Bachelor of Law combined degree (5 years).
- To be a professional lawyer, you also need to do practical legal training.
- Non-law university graduates can choose between a Bachelor of Law or Juris Doctor (both 3 years).
- Postgraduate degrees are available for professional development. They are usually meant for lawyers. But you may also want to do them if you are a legal researcher or deal with legal issues professionally (such as in business, policy development and regulatory compliance).
For further detail, see Good Universities.
Study Law Online
Completing an online law degree will educate you in a more rounded way than you might imagine.
A law degree can give you the skills to be a successful lawyer, but also a producer, politician, manager, journalist or police administrator. Legal skills are valuable for any profession requiring intellectual strength and a practical approach. Law is a subject where you develop both abstract thinking and practical problem solving skills.
- Legal graduates come away with more than just a degree and knowledge of the system of law.
- You acquire generic skills, such as precise writing and the ability to argue from a basis of evidence.
Studying law online gives you the chance to sharpen your mind, strengthen understanding and deepen experience across the full range of humanities and social sciences. You acquire both breadth of understanding and depth in areas of specialisation.
Law and society
Law permeates every aspect of social life. Law governs everything from the embryo to exhumation. Legal frameworks exist for the air we breathe, the food and drink we consume, our travel, family relationships, property, sport, science, employment, education and health – everything from neighbourhood disputes to war.
Best Bachelor Courses
Studying law is a big investment of your time, so you definitely want to enroll in the best course available.
- Online law programs are generally the same as the on-campus version, but just delivered digitally.
- Lectures are live-streamed or recorded.
- You can interact with other students in online forums.
Online Study Australia has selected the top law schools for distance education. These are the best degrees in terms of course satisfaction ratings and the depth of units offered. Programs are selected from among all Australian universities which offer Bachelor of Law degrees online.
CDU Bachelor of Laws
Charles Darwin University offers an online Bachelor of Laws program which is accessible by Australian standards. You can gain entry as a school leaver with an ATAR score of 75+. If you have a (non-law) degree, you can enter as a graduate and finish the degree in 3 years instead of 4. The course touches upon legal issues that are specific to the Northern Territory, including Aboriginal legal issues.
ECU Bachelor of Laws
Edith Cowan University has a top law school according to graduate satisfaction ratings. The course is law focused, with students able to build a program comprised only of legal subjects if they wish. But there is also the option of doing a combined degree that blends Law with Arts, Commerce, Criminology and Justice, or Psychological Science. Electives are available across fields including criminal and social justice, commercial law, and government/private.
UNE Bachelor of Laws
The University of New England offers a 100% online law degree that can be completed in as little as 3 years of full-time study. The program is accredited by the Legal Profession Admission Board of NSW (LPAB) for admission as a legal practitioner in NSW and, by mutual recognition, across Australia. Students are encouraged to adopt both a critical and progressive approach to interpreting the law and legal system. You learn the law and relevant context.
Although it's not the only reason, many people study postgraduate law to get a legal career out of their law degree.
Master of Laws (LLM) degrees are important for gaining a competitive edge.
- In some areas of the law, such as intellectual property and tax, advanced postgraduate study is almost a pre-requisite.
- Studying for a masters through distance learning is a convenient way to get valuable qualifications.
Qualified lawyers can enhance career prospects by doing online masters, short courses and research degrees.
- A masters course provides in-depth training to develop critical evaluation and analysis.
- LLM students interpret the meaning of words and abstract concepts, helping with analysis of complex qualitative data.
Graduates who want to perform legal practice can do the academic parts of a qualifying course online. The standard qualification is a graduate diploma in legal practice.
UNE Master of Laws
The University of New England offers a 1-2 year Master of Laws degree by coursework. The program is suitable for Australian and international law graduates. Students can broaden their knowledge and enhance independent, critical thinking and research skills. The flexible online course develops professional writing and includes research on current issues.
Griffith Master of Global Law
Griffith University offers a 100% online program that’s ideal if you want to gain a competitive edge in international law. The 12-unit Master of Global Law brings an international perspective to diverse legal fields, including commercial dispute resolution, intellectual property, human rights, trade law and family law. The modern, interactive course allows you to earn a masters over 2 years of part-time study. For applicants without a university degree, you can start with a 4-unit Graduate Certificate in Global Law Practice.
SCU Online Master of Laws (Business Law)
SCU Online's Master of Laws program is suitable for any law graduate who wants advanced training in corporate and commercial law. The Business Law degree covers traditional subjects as well as emerging topics in competition law, intellectual property and global business law. It is a flexible and affordable LLM designed for busy professionals. You study part-time and focus on 1 unit a time. The 8-unit, 100% online program can be completed in 16 months.
Don't have a law degree? Then go for a Master of Business Law (details here).