You can study online for an Australia law degree, including Bachelor of Laws, a combined law degree, Juris Doctor and Master of Laws.
- Australian universities offer flexible programs for law students who want to study by distance education.
- Online law courses prepare you for a career in law or related fields in much the same way as on-campus programs.
- Studying online is a popular option for mature-age students with work or family commitments.
Many law graduates enter into private practice as a barrister or solicitor. Others work as corporate lawyers for large firms, legal officers in the public service, community lawyers or in positions outside the legal profession.
Types of Law Degrees in Australia
The types of law degrees in Australia are many. Legal studies can be general or professional.
- First-time uni students can do a Bachelor of Law (3-4 years) or Bachelor of Law combined degree (5 years).
- To be a professional lawyer, you also need to do practical legal training.
- Non-law university graduates can choose between a Bachelor of Law or Juris Doctor (both 3 years).
- Postgraduate degrees are available for professional development. They are usually meant for lawyers. But you may also want to do them if you are a legal researcher or deal with legal issues professionally (such as in business, policy development and regulatory compliance).
For further detail, see Good Universities.
Study Law Online
Completing an online law degree will educate you in a more rounded way than you might imagine.
A law degree can give you the skills to be a successful lawyer, but also a producer, politician, manager, journalist or police administrator. Legal skills are valuable for any profession requiring intellectual strength and a practical approach. Law is a subject where you develop both abstract thinking and practical problem solving skills.
- Legal graduates come away with more than just a degree and knowledge of the system of law.
- You acquire generic skills, such as precise writing and the ability to argue from a basis of evidence.
Studying law online gives you the chance to sharpen your mind, strengthen understanding and deepen experience across the full range of humanities and social sciences. You acquire both breadth of understanding and depth in areas of specialisation.
Law and society
Law permeates every aspect of social life. Law governs everything from the embryo to exhumation. Legal frameworks exist for the air we breathe, the food and drink we consume, our travel, child and family relationships, property, sport, science, employment, education and health – everything from neighbourhood disputes to war.
Best Bachelor Courses
Studying law is a big investment of your time, so you definitely want to enroll in the best course available.
- Online law programs are generally the same as the on-campus version, but just delivered digitally.
- Lectures are live-streamed or recorded.
- You can interact with other students in online forums.
Online Study Australia has selected the top law schools for distance education. These are the best degrees in terms of course satisfaction ratings and the depth of units offered. Programs are selected from among all Australian universities which offer Bachelor of Law degrees online.
Although it's not the only reason, many people study postgraduate law to get a legal career out of their law degree.
Master of Laws (LLM) degrees are important for gaining a competitive edge.
- In some areas of the law, such as intellectual property and tax, advanced postgraduate study is almost a pre-requisite.
- Studying for a masters through distance learning is a convenient way to get valuable qualifications.
Qualified lawyers can enhance career prospects by doing online masters, short courses and research degrees.
- A masters course provides in-depth training to develop critical evaluation and analysis.
- LLM students interpret the meaning of words and abstract concepts, helping with analysis of complex qualitative data.
Graduates who want to perform legal practice can do the academic parts of a qualifying course online. The standard qualification is a graduate diploma in legal practice.