You can study a 100% online course for a human resources (HR) management degree.
- Australian universities offer fully online HR courses – at both bachelor and masters levels.
- Students build HR skills by learning principles of people and organisation management.
The best distance education courses offer both academic rigour and convenience. You are able to earn a professional degree by studying online from your home or office.
Why Study HR Management?
Studying human resources gives you skills which are useful in any organisation. It also qualifies you for many jobs.
- People are the most important asset to any business or non-profit enterprise.
- As an HR professional, you are responsible for managing people to achieve organisation objectives.
- You handle things such as recruitment, training, performance management and employee relations.
A career in HR presents interesting challenges and opportunities. Here are our top 3 reasons why you should study HR management online and set up a career in this field.
1. You enjoy helping people
Working in HR places you as the link person between workers and management. To perform well, you need strong people skills. You are likely to thrive if enjoy a role that requires listening, having empathy, guiding, advocating and being firm when required.
Caring about people's welfare and development is perhaps what matters most for a successful career. All the relevant skills can be developed. Ultimately, though, you must want to overcome challenges involved with managing employee relations.
2. Valuable and interesting work
A good HR manager makes a big contribution to an organisation's performance. You may play a pivotal role in successful employee recruitment, development, morale building and retention. HR managers can help build a high performing team. The impact you have on people and the business is often direct and significant.
You also operate in a dynamic environment with constant variety. Every employee and team is different. Organisations also evolve. There is no way to predict what issues may arise from one day to the next.
3. Career flexibility and progression
Every organisation has HR tasks and every large organisation has an HR department. That means HR professionals have access to diverse jobs in every city. HR management is one of the most flexible jobs around.
You also have the ability to keep advancing your career, which provides an ongoing source of motivation.
- As a graduate, you may do things such as processing employee paperwork, drafting job descriptions, and compiling staff statistics.
- As you move up, you may concentrate on a discipline such as training, performance and salaries, or employee relations.
- At a senior level, you may handle grievances, procure training programs, do contract negotiations and manage teams.
Study HR online
By studying HR online, you earn a degree in the most convenient way possible.
- Australian universities offer fully online HR management degrees.
- You never have to attend a lecture or tutorial on campus.
- Course material is available online. You only need an internet connection.
Online HR courses are structured for convenience and flexibility.
- You can start studying at any time of year (not just in March or July).
- You can also study year-round, including the summer months.
- Many students combine online study with full-time or part-time work.
Human resources jobs list
Careers Adviser • Employment and Industrial Relations Consultant • HR Manager • HR Officer • Industrial Relations Officer • Learning and Development Manager • Management Consultant • Occupational Health and Safety Manager • Office Manager • Organisational Development Manager • Recruitment Consultant • Trade Union Official • Training and Development Officer • Workplace Relations Adviser
Top Bachelor Degree Courses
The best online bachelor degrees in human resource management (HRM) are available from the strongest online business schools.
- HRM is a business specialisation.
- To major in HRM, you typically enroll in a Bachelor of Business or Bachelor of Commerce 3-year program.
- To qualify for the major, you need to do enough relevant units. For example, HRM subjects may need to comprise at least 25% of your course in year 1, 37.5% in year 2, and 50% in year 3.
Online Study Australia has selected the best online HRM bachelor courses. The top degrees are available from business programs which are highly rated in the Australian Graduate Survey.
Deakin Bachelor of Commerce
Deakin University offers a Human Resource Management major within its Bachelor of Commerce program. Cloud (online) students can start in March, July or November. HR management units should comprise half your study load in the 2nd and 3rd years. Subjects include: HR development, managing and rewarding performance, counselling and negotiation, change management, international HR management, employment relations, and strategy.
ECU BCom (Human Resource Management)
Edith Cowan University offers an HR management major within its online Bachelor of Commerce program. The major is also available for combined business degrees (where you study business along with arts, engineering, law or science). Subjects you may study in your 3rd year include strategic management, recruitment and retention, workplace learning, and managing occupational risk. The course aims to provide practical experience and develop job-relevant skills.
UNE Bachelor of Business
The University of New England has a large online business program. Students graduating with a major in Human Resource Management are eligible to become a professional member of the Australian Human Resources Institute (AHRI). The HR course teaches methods for understanding and managing human behaviour in the workplace. You also learn how to manage people within legal and regulatory frameworks for business.
Online HR Masters Programs
Getting an online masters degree is a way to become a human resources (HR) manager or give your existing HR career a boost.
- Masters programs are open to people with a business degree.
- If you don't have a business degree, you may be able to start with a graduate certificate course (which could have more relaxed entry requirements).
- A graduate certificate (4 units) gives you credit towards a graduate diploma (8 units) and masters (12- 16 units).
A good masters program can teach you a great deal about HR. Learning HR management theory and principles is especially useful where you have significant work experience. This allows you to better relate theory to the real world.
RMIT Master of Human Resource Management
RMIT University offers a flexible online masters in HR management. The course has been purpose-built for online study and suits full-time workers. Students take 1 unit at a time, with each unit lasting 7 weeks. You can potentially finish the degree in 2 years of part-time study (bonus: without sitting a traditional exam). Subjects include professional practices, employment law, strategic HR development, employment relations, and business research.
Deakin Master of Human Resource Management
Deakin University has a well established online HR masters program. It operates like a traditional university course. You study in semesters 1 and 2 and sit tests at the end of each semester. Units include HR strategy, strategic staffing, developing people and organisations, performance management and reward, employment relations, rights and responsibilities in HR management, research design and analysis, and an applied research project.
University of Canberra MBA
If you are an experienced HR manager looking to broaden your skills and career, an ideal program may be the MBA offered by the University of Canberra in partnership with Ducere Global Business School. The online MBA dispenses with traditional exams. Instead, students work on industry projects and do portfolio assignments. The course builds leadership and problem-solving skills. It develops your ability to manage resources strategically for the benefit of your organisation.