Online degrees in environmental science are rich and varied.
- You can study online for a bachelor degree in environmental science, as well as for masters and other postgraduate qualifications.
- Distance learning allows environmental science students to do the academic parts of programs from home.
- Computer-based study is normally balanced with occasional work placements and hands-on classes.
Environmental science students learn theory but also have the opportunity to participate in field trips, lab classes and work placements. Gaining practical experience is important to prepare for professional roles.
Environmental scientists apply scientific techniques to study interactions between people and the rest of the world, including living and non-living environments. Unlike environmental biologists, they focus more on the physical environment than the animals that inhabit an ecosystem.
Study Environmental Science Online
Online courses in environmental science provide an essential balance between studying at home and hands-on scientific learning.
- Distance education universities allow you to complete the academic components away from campus.
- They also organise field work and other practical activities such as work placements.
You should be prepared to attend occasional classes on campus. Residential schools (multi-day on-campus sessions) are compulsory for units where physical attendance is essential for learning. Residential sessions may be required for core subjects and/or optional ones that you particularly want to take.
Example Subjects Offered
Subjects you might take across a 3-year bachelor program include
- analysis of spatial data, biodiversity, cell biology, climate change science
- conservation biology, ecology, ecosystem carbon accounting
- environmental geochemistry, environmental regulation and policy
- essential chemistry, forensic and environmental analysis
- management of aquatic environments, marine and aquatic ecology
- microbiology, resource sustainability, understanding landscape.
In the 1st and 2nd years of the degree you will learn the basic building blocks of science in the form of introductory Earth science, biology, chemistry, geography and physics.
Getting an environmental science degree online allows you to move into a diverse and evolving field. Environmental science graduates can potentially access many different lines of work.
- Environmental care is an important function in government agencies (such as the Environment Department) and many businesses.
- Good online courses expose you to different aspects of environmental stewardship.
Environmental officers work in roles that include
- ecotourism; parks and reserves management
- impact assessment and monitoring
- education and compliance; environmental protection
- sustainable forestry; fisheries and aquaculture management
- land and water care programs.
Top Bachelor Degrees
Studying environmental science online offers both a university degree and a highly-rated course experience.
- The best distance education programs achieve student satisfaction percentages into the high 80s.
- The programs also give considerable choice with respect to majors and units.
Here are the top online bachelor degrees.
Best Masters Courses
Studying environmental science online at the postgraduate level is an opportunity to build expertise in specific areas.
- Specialist study can be especially beneficial for environmental science graduates who took a generalist approach to their first degree.
- You can study management if you career is moving towards administrative and decision-making roles.
Postgraduate study is also a way to break into the field. You can construct a broad program that exposes you to many different aspects of environmental study and management.
Note that students generally do not have to commit to a full masters degree. You may have the option to exit with a graduate certificate after 1 semester or a graduate diploma after 2 semesters.