Why study engineering online? Australian universities allow you to complete engineering degrees without having to regularly travel to a campus.
- Online courses allow engineering students to do the academic components of a program away from campus.
- Any practical parts can be completed at occasional residential schools.
Engineers apply knowledge and skill to solve practical problems and extend the technology frontier. With engineering fields growing, there are plenty of options to pursue a long and successful career.
Engineers are problem solvers who use their curiosity, knowledge and skill to improve how things are built. As a qualified engineer, you could make the environment cleaner, a computer program faster, a bridge stronger, a fuel-cell car cheaper, or a machine more efficient.
Engineering is one of the more challenging areas of study, meaning engineering degrees are valued. Engineering graduates are more likely to find employment quickly, start on a good salary, and progress up the career ladder.
There are many broad fields within the Engineering discipline, letting you choose what interests you and develop that interest as a student and professional. The best universities for engineering have a wide range of distance education courses and plenty of units to choose from within each course.
Online Bachelor Courses
Deakin Bachelor of Engineering
Deakin University offers several majors under the Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) 4-year degree. They include Civil, Electrical and Electronics, Environmental, Mechanical, Mechatronics, and Software Engineering. All online courses in classical engineering fields are accredited by Engineers Australia. Cloud (online) enrolled students may be required to attend campus classes (in Geelong) and/or complete work placements.
UNE Engineering Technology
The University of New England in Armidale has a 3-year para-professional engineering degree with 2 majors: Civil and Environmental. Graduates have the option of studying for an extra year elsewhere to complete a 4-year degree. They are also eligible to apply for Engineering Technologist membership of Engineers Australia.
USQ Bachelor of Engineering
The University of Southern Queensland’s external degrees include Associate Degree of Engineering (2 years), Bachelor of Engineering Science (a 3-year para-professional degree) and Bachelor of Engineering (Honours). Students are advised to enrol in Practice Courses only when able to attend residential schools (in Springfield or Toowoomba).
Postgraduate engineering programs give you the opportunity to gain a career edge. You can acquire specific technical skills and round out your broader skill set, boosting careers prospects in Australia and overseas.
Engineering is constantly evolving. Even experienced professionals are continually learning and refreshing their knowledge. There are always challenges and new paths to explore. Studying engineering by distance education is an easy way to update your professional knowledge.
- Higher level courses aim to consolidate and extend your understanding of engineering principles and practices.
- It is about more than just technical skills. Most courses offer units on project management and leadership for example.
Postgraduate study can help give you a positive approach to problem solving and the ability to work as part of a team. You can learn advanced project management skills for handling complex industrial problems.
Online Masters Degrees
FedUni specialist masters
Federation University offers online masters degrees in Geomechanics & Geohydrology, and Maintenance & Reliability Engineering. Both online courses take 3 years of part-time study.
- The Master of Geomechanics and Geohydrology course examines technical issues concerning mining’s impacts on soil, rock and groundwater behaviour and the role of groundwater in mine development and operation. It suits engineers and scientists who want to work in Australia’s surface mining industry.
- The Master of Maintenance and Reliability Engineering course is designed for graduate engineers involved with asset management of industrial, public sector or defence systems. Students learn how to optimise the maintenance of industrial assets.
USQ postgraduate engineering
The University of Southern Queensland offers graduate certificates, graduate diplomas and masters degrees in engineering. All are available by distance education. Specialisations include Agricultural, Civil, Computer Systems and Telecommunications, Environmental, Mechanical, Mechatronic, Power Systems, Structural, Technology Management and Transdisciplinary.