Why study teaching online? Online courses in teaching and education save time. It has never been so convenient to become a qualified teacher (or gain extra education credentials).
You can get bachelor, graduate certificate and masters degrees in education through distance learning.
- Online education students do the academic components of training externally.
- Any teaching placements (which are required to become a classroom teacher) can often be done close to where you live.
- It's possible to complete practical training without attending a university campus.
Online degrees are available in early childhood, primary, secondary and other education fields.
Teaching is an important and respected profession, and though you may have some challenges in the classroom, it’s all worth it to see the difference you’re making in your students. You’ll touch innumerable lives through your time in the classroom.
Bachelor of Education Degrees
An online Bachelor of Education degree will qualify you to teach in Australian schools. It requires 4 years of full-time study (or part-time equivalent). The main streams are Early Childhood, Primary and Secondary.
Bachelor of Education programs involve teacher placements, where you start teaching students in a supervised environment. Australian work placements are required for teacher registration.
- Training placements in schools or other learning centres consist of some months of practical experience.
- Students are often responsible for organising placements.
- The process is important not just for learning, but to gain confidence and prove yourself as a capable new teacher.
One of the exciting aspects of studying education is the opportunity to specialise in subjects that interest you. As well as the traditional academic disciplines (such as English and mathematics), you can study topics like physical education, creative arts, outdoor education and applied science.
Your first point of contact for any questions regarding teacher registration will be the teacher regulatory authority in your state or territory. The teacher regulatory authorities are responsible for nationally consistent teacher registration in Australia, as endorsed by Education Ministers.
Top Online Teaching Programs
The best online programs in teacher education do a number of things well. They
- offer a good selection of units
- present academic courses well
- make it easy to do work placements.
We've chosen Australia's best bachelor degrees based mainly on graduate ratings and program depth. These are solid choices if you want to study teaching online and become a qualified classroom teacher.
Before enrolling in a program, we suggest checking that the university will support you in doing practical training in your state or territory.
Graduate Certificate Courses
Graduate certificate courses provide specialised training for teachers and other education professionals. Courses typically take 1 semester of full-time study (or 2 semesters part time).
A graduate certificate program gives you the opportunity to
- move into a new education field or
- improve your understanding of a subject that you're already teaching.
You can learn about a topic by taking it as a major in a Graduate Certificate of Education. Alternatively, you can enroll in a topic-specific graduate certificate (such as eLearning).
Graduate certificate courses can often be used as credit towards a masters degree.
Masters Degrees Online
Doing a masters course in education or teaching is an opportunity to refresh, enhance or develop new teaching skills.
In general, a Master of Education program is meant for already-qualified teachers and for education professionals (such as workplace trainers, nursing supervisors, counsellors, and education administrators). It gives participants the opportunity to broaden their career horizons by developing advanced skills.
A Master of Teaching program, in contrast, confers a professional / vocational qualification. It enables graduates of any discipline to become accredited teachers.
Masters courses vary in length, ranging from 2 semesters (1 year full-time) to 4 semesters (2 years).
- Master of Education degrees can be as little as 8 units of coursework (1 year of study) or as much as 2 years of full-time study where students write a dissertation.
- A Master of Teaching course requires 2 years of study and learning. Teaching placements are included.