Australia has some excellent science schools that allow you to study online for a Bachelor of Science degree.
Students can expect high-quality teaching and a good learning experience when studying for a science degree by distance education.
- The top online science courses are rated among the best overall – including both online and on-campus programs.
- They achieve course satisfaction percentages into the high 80s.
Bachelor of Science degrees are available 100% online depending on the subjects you choose. For some study areas, you may need to attend occasional residential schools.
Study Science Online
Studying science online is the most convenient way to get a degree. A popular arrangement is to study part-time from home. This allows students to combine study with work or family responsibilities.
Science is a knowledge-driven field, with many subjects available for distance learning.
- Academic (non applied) science units are available fully online. These can be learned just as effectively through distance education as in a physical classroom.
- Physical kinds of subjects (such as chemistry and environmental science) may also be available online. Lab or field work is often saved for advanced (postgraduate) courses. Online bachelor programs may just aim to teach concepts and factual knowledge.
For subjects where some physical attendance is essential, you are generally able to attend occasional intensive residential schools.
- It is generally recommended to be open to attending campus sometimes – so you don’t limit your study options.
- Residential schools may be confined to a single block of 2-3 days on campus per semester.
Undergraduate Science Programs
Bachelor degrees in science are available from some of Australia’s big online universities. They offer a good range of courses across the different science disciplines.
It is important to have program depth since a Bachelor of Science is a general kind of degree in the 1st year.
- Students often have multiple majors in mind when enrolling in undergraduate science programs.
- You could, for example, choose information technology and mathematics study streams, as well as units from another faculty (e.g. commerce).
The level of specialisation increases with each year of the course. This is true for students studying science exclusively and those doing combined degrees.
BSc Majors List
Here is a list of majors that you can potentially choose as part of an online BSc degree. Note that some may require you to attend intensive residential schools occasionally.
- Animal Science, Veterinary Studies
- Archaeology, Forensic Science
- Biochemistry, Chemistry, Biotechnology
- Biodiversity, Botany, Conservation Biology, Zoology
- Genetics, Immunology, Microbiology, Palaeobiology
- Geography, Geoscience, Spatial Science
- Mathematics, Physics
- Physiology, Psychology
- Scientific Computing
Best Bachelor Degrees
Australia’s best online programs for doing a Bachelor of Science degree are:
- Highly rated by science graduates (in the Australian Graduate Survey)
- Delivered by a strong online university and offers plenty of unit choice.
CSU Bachelor of Science
Charles Sturt University offers a highly rated Bachelor of Science degree, which is supported by a network of campuses and study centres across NSW and other parts of Australia. Available majors include Analytical Chemistry, Conservation Biology, Mathematics, Microbiology and Immunology, Physics, Plant Science, and Spatial Science.
SCU Bachelor of Science
Southern Cross University offers specialised science degrees that can be studied by a combination of distance education and residential sessions in Lismore or Coffs Habour. Science degrees available with SCU include (Bachelor of) Environmental Science, Forest Science and Management, Marine Science and Management, and Psychological Science.
UNE Bachelor of Science
The University of New England in Armidale gets consistently excellent ratings from graduates for its online science courses. The Bachelor of Science degree has around 20 possible majors, ranging from Animal Science through to Chemistry, Genetics, and Zoology. You can do a double science major or, for greater freedom, a single major and a wide variety of electives.