You can study for a Bachelor of Arts degree online with Australian universities. The 3-year programs offer a rich selection of subjects, giving you tremendous choice and flexibility.
- Studying for a BA trains you to be a good communicator and social analyst.
- You examine aspects of society and culture in depth.
- The field of study prepares you for a contemplated life as well as a career.
When you start an online BA, you enter a broad study stream with numerous possibilities. It is common for students to have a certain major in mind at the beginning but end up with a different one (or a double major).
Arts Majors Online
As an online arts student, you have access to almost as many units and courses as on-campus students. Most arts majors revolve around written communication, making distance education an effective learning method.
About the only kinds of majors that may be unavailable online are in the creative arts – subjects such as animation, dance, drama, film and television, and visual arts.
Bachelor of Arts majors and minors available online include:
- Anthropology, Arabic, Australian Studies
- Children’s Literature, Criminology, English, History
- Indigenous Studies, Indonesian, International Relations
- Journalism, Language and Culture Studies, Literary Studies
- Media Studies, Middle East Studies, Philosophy
- Politics, Policy, Psychology, Public Relations, Religious Studies
- Sociology, Spanish, Writing – Professional and Creative.
Why Study Arts Subjects?
Studying arts online can set up an interesting career and has other benefits. There are good reasons why Bachelor of Arts is a popular degree.
Studying arts builds general skills and while allowing you to learn specific topics.
- Studying arts online gives you job-relevant skills. You learn how to communicate well, research purposefully, synthesise complex information, and consider alternate perspectives.
- With a versatile skill set, you can pursue a modern career – where people change jobs often. Arts graduates are not locked into a niche.
- Arts students are also able to prepare for a specific line of work. The variety of topics allows it. You can choose the ideal mix of subjects to achieve a career vision.
Studying arts and humanities also develops you personally. It helps you understand others – through languages, history and culture. You learn to respond critically and logically to subjective, complex and imperfect information. You are encouraged to think creatively and ask questions about the world.
People often enter into the study of arts with some trepidation. Bachelor of Arts is not a vocational qualification in the way, say, nursing or engineering degrees are. The course itself does not necessarily set out a future path.
While the lack of a defined career path brings risk, you can embrace that uncertainty as well. With initiative and strategy, you may discover roles which suit your interests.
Best Bachelor of Arts Degrees
There are good options for doing a Bachelor of Arts degree online.
- Australia’s distance education universities generally have strong arts programs.
- Arts faculties achieve high course satisfaction ratings in the Australian Graduate Survey.
We’ve chosen the best online degrees based on student ratings plus the depth and variety of courses. Each of these degrees has many possible majors.
Griffith Bachelor of Arts
Griffith University offers a 100% online Bachelor of Arts degree through Open Universities Australia. Available majors include art history, Chinese language, creative writing, history, literature, journalism, media studies, public relations, screen culture and sociology. This is Australia's most flexible online BA, with 4 study periods across the year. Griffith humanities and social science graduates report high rates of course satisfaction.
UNE Bachelor of Arts
The University of New England has just about every arts major you can imagine. There are well over 30 possible majors and the vast majority can be completed 100% online. Among the specialisations is an impressive list of languages, including Chinese, Classical Languages, English, French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese and Spanish.
CSU Bachelor of Arts
Charles Sturt University has one of the biggest online arts programs – run by the School of Humanities and Social Sciences. Students can complete 2 majors and 1 minor, or 1 major and 3 minors. The list of minors is long, while available majors are Art History, English, History, Indigenous Studies, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, and Sociology.