Online courses are available for many business subjects.
You can study online for the following business qualifications.
Business courses are available online with Australian universities, colleges and training organisations – from free training courses, to accredited certificates and diplomas, to bachelor degrees, MBAs and MPAs.
Business is a popular distance learning subject. By doing an online course, you could learn how to manage a project, team or commercial operation.
Students develop skills in:
- accounting, finance and quantitative analysis
- business administration and managing people
- entrepreneurship, strategic planning and marketing.
Business Qualification Types
The main types of online business qualifications are diplomas, and bachelor and masters degrees.
Diplomas introduce you to important business topics.
- Certificate courses can be used as pathways to qualify for a diploma course.
- An accredited diploma is a valuable qualification in its own right.
- As an added bonus, a business diploma can be used as credit towards a degree.
Degrees start with associate degrees and Bachelor of Business (or Bachelor of Commerce). Undergraduate degrees are versatile and offer many possible majors. A bachelor degree requires 3 years of full-time study.
After graduating with a bachelor degree, you are eligible to enroll in graduate certificate, graduate diploma and masters programs.
- Most graduates get some professional business experience before doing further study.
- Experience can also be used as an entry pathway to postgraduate study if you don't have a degree.
- Popular masters degrees include Master of Business Administration (MBA) and Master of Professional Accounting (MPA).
Study Business Online
Every business qualification is available through 100% online study.
When studying as an external student, program style is important. You can study according to the semester calendar of the Business School's campus. Alternatively, you can follow an online learning schedule.
Parallel programs have the same timetable as an on-campus counterpart.
- Students work through content together week-by-week.
- There are distinct semesters, with end-of-term exams and holiday breaks.
- How much work you do each week depends on how many units you are taking.
Modular programs have a distinct timetable for online learning.
- For example, the year could be divided into 6 study periods. A part-time student could do 1 unit every 2 months (up to 6 a year).
- Modular programs often use continuous assessment instead of traditional exams.
- They are growing in popularity and availability (e.g. Ducere, RMIT and SCU degrees).
A self-paced business course is as it sounds.
- You work through program content at your own speed, according to your personal motivation and time availability.
- The study style is flexible and suits independent learners.
- The format is common for short courses but rare for accredited business degrees.
The flexible nature of e-learning means that your study schedule can be made to fit around your professional and family commitments, not the other way around... Distance learning programmes give you complete access to your studies from anywhere in the world, 24/7.
One of the major benefits of choosing to study business is that it gives you the opportunity to define your ambition... The sheer breadth of the disciplines that are covered in the subject (such as economics, finance, marketing, human resources, management, strategy and law) gives you the chance to explore various fields before finding the one that interests you most.
Online accounting courses prepare students to be professional accountants or pursue other careers in business.
- Accounting is central to financial management.
- Learning it provides a strong platform for any business career.
You can study for an accounting degree fully online.
- Students can choose appropriate course units to become members of professional bodies.
- Bachelor and masters programs both meet education requirements for professional accreditation... READ MORE
An online diploma in business administration gives you skills that will be handy throughout your career.
- Every office worker needs admin skills.
- Specialist in administration are found at all levels in business and other organisations.
Things you might learn through a business admin course include budgeting, developing corporate documents, running meetings and events, and managing teams. You can study 100% online with Australian colleges and TAFEs... READ MORE
Online business courses prepare students for roles with almost any employer.
- Every business and large organisation has business characteristics.
- Skills are needed to do things such as accounting, business strategy, marketing and leadership.
Some students choose general business courses and see where this takes them. They only target a specific career later (while doing the course or after gaining professional experience). Studying business gives you this flexibility.
A Master of Commerce degree is the postgraduate equivalent of a Bachelor of Commerce or Bachelor of Business.
- It is a general degree which potentially covers any business subject.
- Students can specialise through unit choice or by choosing a university-defined study stream.
An MCom may be preferable to an MBA if you want a general business degree or to build specialist skills in areas such as accounting, business analytics, finance or human resources... READ MORE
By studying economics online, you learn how economies and markets function. You also develop analytical and report writing skills.
Top economics graduates work as professional economists for government agencies and large corporations. But an economics degree is valuable for other business careers.
Completing an online economics degree demonstrates you have:
- good all-round maths skills
- problem solving abilities
- determination when faced with a difficult task... READ MORE
Being an entrepreneur requires some serious skills to back up your great idea and willingness to have a go.
Online entrepreneur courses teach you how to manage a business and start new ventures.
Things you learn in entrepreneur programs include marketing, international business, business strategy, corporate governance, managing virtual teams, research and development, innovation strategies, and commercialisation.
Excel training can bring you up to speed with the versatile program.
- Excel can be used to do just about anything involving data and information.
- It is a handy business tool.
People who are proficient in Excel find many ways to improve productivity. It allows you to easily perform calculations, manage data and create lists. Excel is commonly used in accounting and for transferring business data.
Low-cost training courses show you the power of the software... READ MORE
Specialising in Human Resource Management actually opens up enormous job opportunities.
- HR Managers can be found in any large organisation.
- As well as there being many employers, you have a well defined career path. You can start as an assistant and work up to senior executive positions.
To become an HR manager, you can major in the field within an online BBus or BCom degree. Specialist masters degrees are also available online. HR programs teach you about recruitment, training, performance management and employee relations... READ MORE
International business is a study stream that focuses on getting business done across borders. Students learn about:
- global marketing, trade, foreign investment
- national differences in culture and institutions.
A diploma or degree in international business opens up numerous possible career paths.
- Most large employers and many small ones deal with overseas suppliers and customers.
- International experts are needed across the spectrum of business occupations... READ MORE
Logistics and Supply Chain Management is a specialisation in which students learn how to coordinate business activities. Topics include:
- purchases, procurement, inventory control, distribution, transport
- marketing, customer relations, partnerships and global networks.
The study area covers many of the essential functions in business operations and management.
Graduates are employable in numerous roles, from warehouse management to analysis of large supply chains... READ MORE
Management courses are for people who want to be the boss.
- Students learn a structured approach to managing people and operations.
- Online courses give you principles and general techniques.
It can pay to study management for getting your first supervisory position or as you climb the ranks.
Not only do you learn management skills, but you become better at communicating your knowledge (which is handy for interviews)... READ MORE
Marketing is a popular online course at all levels.
You can study marketing:
- in a Diploma of Marketing course
- as a major in a Bachelor of Business program
- in postgraduate business degrees.
Marketing students learn how to build brand or product awareness and drive sales. There’s more to it than just the pitch. Marketing is a vital business function that needs to fit within the overall strategy for generating profit... READ MORE
An MBA degree is the qualification for professionals (such as engineers) who want to advance their careers.
MBA programs give you the conceptual tools, strategies and language for taking on leadership roles.
With online programs, you can study while working and/or raising a family.
- You study according to your preferred schedule, not the university’s.
- Self-paced courses give students complete flexibility, with the options of accelerated study or holiday breaks... READ MORE
There’s a whole science around the art of project management (if that’s not a contradiction). For experienced professionals, you can polish your skills in managing projects by studying for a graduate certificate, graduate diploma or masters degree.
Project management courses are often delivered by a business college or a university’s business school (but not always).
An online course in social media marketing gives you tips and skills in this important and growing field. It will make your social media efforts more professional.
A short, specialist course is the best way to gain or update your skills in social media campaigning.
- Communications degrees are long and generally do no focus on social media.
- Diploma courses use the knowledge of prominent social media professionals.
- They give students insight, strategies and practical training.
- You can learn techniques properly the first time instead of relying on trial and error... READ MORE